ï»¿ ï»¿ COSMETIC BOTOX TREATMENTS are one of the most popular,low risk cosmetic procedures done in the United States, Europe and around the world. The goal is to "relax" facial expression muscles which over time leave residual dynamic wrinkles. Frown lines, forehead horizontal lines and Crows feet lines fall into these categories. These three mentioned are the most popular, but there are many other potential sites that your doctor may decide to treat.
THE THREE MOST COMMON AREAS FOR COSMETIC BOTOX
Frown Lines, Forehead lines and Crows Feet. Frown lines are caused by the contraction of a group of the three muscles, The middle Procerus muscles and two "helper" muscles on each side... the Corrugators... above each eyebrow. Forehead lines are caused by the large Frontalis muscles and the Crows feet are casued by the circular muscle around the eye, the O rbicularis Oculi.
FROWN LINES CROWS FEET LINES FOREHEAD LINES
There are advanced locations where Cosmetic Botox has been used such as: for gummy smiles, vertical lines around the mouth, Bulging of the lower eyelid upon smiling "Jelly Rolls", softening enlarged side-jaw (masseter muscle)chewing muscle, relaxing and softening the muscles that pull down on the corners of Down-turned Mouth "Mad Mouth". There are non-Cosmetic "Therapeutic" Botox treatments used by neurologists for migraines and other spastic muscle syndromes.
PRIOR TO INJECTION . If it is your first botox treatments, relax, itsok to be nervous. It is a fairly simple, quick and fairly painless procedure. A little discomfort, but most patients usually say its less painful than having blood drawn.
- Tell your doctor about any illness or any medications you may be taking. These may affect treatment with Botox.
- To avoid bruising, do not take aspirin, Ibuprofen-like anti-inflammatories, Vitamin E, Fish oil and Anti-oxidants for a week prior to Botox treatment. If you are on prescription Blood Thinners DO NOT STOP TAKING THEM.
- Tell your Doctor if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Tell your Doctor if you have had problems with Botox in the past or problems such as prior inflammation, skin disease/condition or surgery and scarring in the area to be treated.
DURING INJECTION. It is a fairly short procedure which usually takes between five and fifteen minutes depending on how many areas are treated. Some doctors pre-treat the the area with ice or cooling metal "roller".....others gently pinch the area that is being treated to minimize the injection sensation, .....rarely does any patient need to use topical anesthetic creams or to pre-medicate themselves with valium, xanax or other anti-anxiety medications. Once the treatment is done , you usually see minor redness at the site of the injections that may last one to three hours. Most patients say that appearance is that of mosquito or ant-bites. A cool compress will reduce the marks faster if necessary (lunch date or have to go back to work). After this the Doctor will usually remind you that the effects of the Botox take about 4 to 5 days to be noticed and in some patient s up to 14 days. The Doctor will also remind you about after treatment instructions....
AFTER TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS to limit complications, it is recommended :
- Not to rub or massage the treated areas for 24 to 48 hours after treatment.
- This includes no scrubbing or rubbing when face washing, or rubbing when taking makeup off. onlly cleanse gently and "Dab" rather than scrub when washing face.
- Not to apply makeup for four hours after botox treatment
- To avoid bending down or laying down to rest for at least four hours after the botox treatment.
- Also, no strenous exercise, such as aerobics, spin class, running, jogging or other gym classes. No hot saunas are recommended.
WHEN TO RE-TREAT THE BOTOX AREA.
- Initially if after two weeks have passed and you have not noticed adequate relaxation and stillness of the treated muscle areas, you should call the doctor for follow-up appointment and possible " touch-up" treatment . Not everyone will respond to the same amount of Botox in the same manner and some may need more than others.
- If you want to continue to get Botox regularly to establish a preventative schedule , than initially you want to wait for "return of muscle movement". As soon as you begin to see early signs of the treated muscles movement returning, you want to go ahead and schedule your appointment for Botox retreatment. At first, this may be at the 2 and1/2 to 4 month range. Later it may be in the 4 to 8 month range!
- A-la-Cart ...is the term we use for those patients who only want Botox treatments prior to special occasions . Before weddings , class re-unions, Holidays or vacations. Although these patients won't get long term , preventative effect of wrinkle reduction and prevention like those on the regular, preventative schedule....they are still happy with the occasional improvement for their special occasions
WHEN TO CALL THE DOCTOR/SIDE EFFECTS. There h as never been serious injury or mortality from Cosmetic Botox treatments. Most side effects are limited to discomfort and swelling at the injection site...redness, bruising, swelling or stinging. Rarely , side effects can include drooping of the eye lid, muscle weakness or facial pain. Most patients experience little or no side effects other than the mosquito or ant bite appearance for a few hours.